Everyone, thank you so much for your advice! It's wonderful to get this much feedback, especially since I'm committing a significant amount of money to this venture.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

<span>However, I must ask--why do you prefer the shots taken with natural lighting? If it's convenience, I completely understand. However, if its because they just don't look as pleasing to you, it may be a matter of correcting or modifying your technique...

The latter, and mainly for indoor shots. I think you're absolutely right that I need to correct or modify some of my technique, but I have a feeling it's a bit gear-related as well. I love that warm, ambient look of gentle sunlight surrounding my subjects without having to recreate that effect with software. I've gotten some good results with my flash bounced and diffused, but it just never feels as good. Nonetheless, I'm going to do a lot more research into this, especially with my planned new gear. []

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

I wouldn't let #5 weigh to heavy in your decision. While they do great video, I find them almost impossible to hand hold and get a decent video. If you spend another 1000 bucks or so you might get stabilizing equipment that would help with this.

Thanks for the sage advice. I'm going to take your and neuroanatomist's advice and look into a Hi-Def upgrade to my Panasonic PV-GS500. I think it's sad that Canon did not include AF on the video function - I guess they did not want to cannibalize their video camera line too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72

<span>Are you including selling your XTi as part of your $1,500 budget?

No, I think I'm going to keep it and either see how it fares with a new lens or allow my 6-year old to grow into it. He seems to have a good eye for composition.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

<span>

Hi, and welcome to the TDP forums!

Tough decisions...we should all follow Rick's advice and win the lottery!

As stated above, the usual advice is to upgrade your lenses before upgrading your body. That said, the XTi is getting a little long in the tooth. On the other hand, the Tamron 18-270mm, while decent for a superzoom lens, does not deliver top image quality, nor does it perform well in low light.

John, thank you for your very detailed reply! You nailed my exact sentiment on the XTi+Tamron combination. Your overall recommendation feels well balanced across the varied replies to my question, so I'm heading out to Best Buy to pick up a 60D and probably settle for a refurbished Canon 85mm f/1.8 (they have one in stock for $335.99). I'll let everyone know how things progress, especially with the 60D+Tamron combination as well. This should hold me over until next year's allowance...

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Scheiner

<span>BTW: I am also one of the poor red green blinds. This is a real restricktion when viewing photos. But (for me) a good photo not only consists ot colors but also of the subject it expresses.

My sentiment precisely! Even if my wife gets a kick out of my frequent bright and over-saturated results. [:$]

Again, thank you to everyone who replied. I truly appreciate your help.