Ouch...I just looked at the current prices of the Canon 17-55 f2.8 and almost fell of my chair. 900 Euro's....ouch! That's 150 more than I payd for 1.5 years ago.

I'm sorry to say, but to me personally this is way too much. If I look at the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 I agree that it performs slightly less than the Canon. A little more chromatic aberation and no IS of course.

However it's 3 times cheaper! The Canon 17-55 is definitely not worth 3 times more.Don't forget you also need to buy a seperate lenshood for 35 Euro's... Crazy!

For that amount of money you can buy: Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Canon 85mm f1.8 and almost a third lens like the 50mm 1.4. (Even a 70-200 F4L fits the budget next to the Tamron)That seems like 10 times a better deal than the Canon 17-55 to me.

The only downside is that you don't get any Image Stabilization. But you do get great lenses and a lot more options. You could even keep the kitlens(since it's only about 70 Euro more than just a body) for the times you need IS. Just a thought.

I did love the Canon 17-55, but the current prices are just nuts [A]