Not too long ago I sold my Canon 17-5mm that I had only bought new about a year ago and I have mised it ever since (amongst a bunch of other lenses, flashes & accessories). Dumb decision to sell the 17-55mm I knowbut I wasn't using it enough to justify having it and I had hoped to own a full frame by now which is no longer going to happen. Anyway, I couldn't bring myself to spend another grand on another one nor could I even bring myself to buy it used or refurbished.

Since I have been extremely happy with my decision to buy the Sigma 85mm after I sold my Canon 85mm 1.8, I thought I would give Tamron a chance with their 17-50mm. After reading everywhere that the non-VC was better that is what I bought about a week ago. Well, I am already on my second copy of the lens.

For my needs and level of skill, it makes more sense to have lenses in this price range and I guess I am ok with it if I don't compare it to the 17-55mm or even the quality of the Sigma 85mm.

Here are a few shots I've taken with the second copyso far ...

The first 3 the color is alittle off due to the lighting in my house but the sky really did look like that after a bad storm blew thru at sunset. I am mostly concerned with sharpness and that it focuses where it should. No matter where I set the microadjustment on the first copy, it would focus wherever it wanted to sometimes.

With a -2 microadjustment

At a -3 microadjustment ...

Opinions welcome! Do you think it is a keeper?

I'm still trying to talk my daughter into letting me post some shots I took of her!