Hey guys, I have to manage this weird situation, and since I'm inexperienced, I'm looking for some advice. And I'll apologize ahead of time for my poor business-english (so far I haven't been able to study it )

A little background: I've shot for my sister's ice skating association for a couple of events, and since I was the only photographer there, they asked for my pictures. They paid me both times with free passes (like $70 worth) for their ice rink. I used the all the passes they gave me the first time, but I haven't used any of the second ones, because I couldn't find the time to go ice skating. Plus, the season is almost over -there's only a month left- and they have just asked e to shoot their season-ending performance.

They initially said they would "pay" like the other times, but I wasn't really comfortable with that, so I kind of hinted that there should be another way for them to pay me. They said they couldn't pay me with money, because I don't have a "VTA Number" (Dictionary translation), which is sort of a "business licence" (my translation). They also said they could, on the other hand, refund me of any expenses I had for photographing the event, which I had to prove by showinf receipts. The problem is I don't have any expenses. I don't shoot film, nor do I use external flashes (my line-up is pretty basic...I have 2 lenses and that's it ) so I don't use any batteries. They also added that I could get off with some more cash if I brought some "more" receipt other than just those for the equipment I used.

My idea now is to kind of ask how much they are willing to "tip" me and see if I can get something like a tripod which is in that price range, and have them refund me of that. And, if the price is too low to buy something like that, see if I can be "hired" for more than this only event (e.g. in the next season) for the price of the thing I would buy. I think in that case the price could be a little higher.

I still have to ask if that's possible, but, if it is, what do you think I should get, say, in the 100-300$ price range? Consider that I would like to buy a CP filter, a tripod, a flash and possibly a new lens (but this is way out of budget: 24-70 f2.8L) some time in the future. =)

PS: I'll post their answer as soon as I can - I don't see them very often.

Thank you all,

Andy