Quote Originally Posted by UK_Scotty
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]From an engineering point I would say that the 50D is a step to far, a 1.6X sensor at 15mp is going to give problems that are not worth the extra resolution.<span> I think (hope) that the next mid range body 60D??? would have to have a larger sensor.<span> One would hope for full frame but suspect that a 1.3x sensor would be canons preferred option if forced down that route, but I think that all of the manufactures will try desperately to keep the 1.6 and 1.5X sensors.<span> So a 1.3x or FF sensor at &pound;1200 (proper money) may not be too far away&hellip; <span>What is really needed now is a totally new type of sensor.<span>
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Never going to happen. Canon won't change sensor size on the crop-body cameras any time soon. They're not going to orphan the EF-S lenses and the cash inflow those generate. That's the entry-level to semi-pro market, and they've invested a lot of time and effort into convincing the public this is going to remain viable for a long time. Dumping the platform now would revisit the FD rancor of years past. The 5D II is too popular, and the Mark Is are commanding a comparable price to the 50D on the secondary market. I suspect Canon's happy with that.

I could see Canon expanding the 1.3x with a line of mid-pro cameras, but in all honesty, I suspect that chip is an evolutionary dead end. I'd expect Canon to develop a "new" 1.6 APS-C chip that's able to sidestep some of the current limitations while retaining the current size. Remember, Canon was criticized for cramming too many megapixels onto the D60 chip way back when, and they've long since worked around those issues.