Quote Originally Posted by Alan

Richard, besides the messed up shot, did you see fewer in-focus keepers when using IS?

Hi Alan,

I don't see any fewer keepers when using IS. I've never actually done a side by side comparison, however I have frequently turned it on by accident (when my finger hits the button accidentally) and I haven't noticed any negative affects because of it.

I think that the IS works great for continuous action, and/or handholding, or with slower shutter-speeds, especially when using focal lengths of 300mm to 600mm and up when the image in the VF may appear unstable. When IS is on, it will settle down the image which can make tracking easier. I think the IS can be useful for Soccer, Lacrosse, and possibly Hockey when you can track a player longer.

I don't think it's as useful for Football (due to frequent starting and stopping of the action, as well as starting and stopping of the IS, plus my monopod makes the image stable), Basketball, Volleyball, or Tennis, also note that the latter sports are played on smaller courts and usually require shorter focal lengths anyway. I also think that IS is useful for Airplanes, Motor-sports, Birds in Flight, or stationary birds that are far away in low light (requiring slower shutter-speeds) when using a super-telephoto.

As you are aware, there is also less of a need for IS at faster shutter-speeds since the faster SS will compensate for any camera motion, and IS won't help freeze subject motion.

Note, that it's the "first shot" with IS that messes me up (if it's not up to speed), because it's like shooting a gun and aiming at your target and then just as you pull the trigger someone bumps into you, causing the bullet to miss it's intended target.

Rich