Hello Everyone,

This post is an extension to Weewillo's request for lens advice with a 7D.

I am headed off to Disney next month with the fam. and wanted to add a lens to the ****nal for capturing many nighttime events such as the Spectromagic parade (a parade of lit-up floats) and the Santa parade.
I would like to not have to depend on my flash for fear of loosing the feel of the parades or light shows.

I went 2 years ago and just looked up the old pictures to see how I captured the shots before. I was using a T1i with the kit lens (18-55mm f/3.5-5.6) on Program mode. I want to say that I have come along way and will be setting the camera manually this time. Anyway...most of those shots are between 18mm and 30mm with ISO at 1600 or more. Many pictures are not sharp due to the shutter speeds @ 1/4 a second or longer!

Now my body is a 7D and my primary lens is a 24-70 f/2.8L. I was considering the Canon 50mm f/1.4 and almost pulled the trigger until I read a post that made me go back and check those old picture focal lengths. I am thinking I would be better off with a wider lens. I was looking at the Canon 28mm f/1.8 so I could achieve much faster shutter speeds and/or lower ISO. I know most of you are not fans of the Canon 35mm f/2.0 and I can see why. I also know that a few have the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and like it. I have a certain comfort level with Canon lenses but will be interested in your responses. I would probably grab one from their refurb. site if possible.

As always, thanks.