Thread: Building a Travel Kit

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Okay thanks again for all the help. That flipsize looks cool, but I think I need something more versatile if it's going to be my only daypack for the trip.

I'm going to get the Joby SLR-Zoom with ballhead combo. As much as I'd like the Focus's metal construction, it's too big, twice as heavy and twice as much money. The SLR-Zoom will probably have trouble with the 100-400L, but that's assuming that I don't opt for the 70-200 instead and realistically almost all of my long exposures/time-lapses will be with the 24-105 or my prime anyway. I'm guessing that with the tripod ring the telephoto should be okay at near horizontal anyway.

I'll get the new GoPro's outdoor kit, LCD BacPac and tripod mount and wait to see if GoPro's underwater solution comes out before I leave. Any other accessories anyone else recommends? Wrist housing or chest harness?

Still not sure about bag but I think I'll take your advice on skipping a large camera daypack(rover,primus) and just get a main pack with a small detachable daypack. I don't think that the daypack will fit a large toploader like mine or the 70/75, but the toploader will make it's own dedicated bag and can fit inside the main pack when I want it to. That will make moving the easiest as the daypack and toploader will both become a part of a single pack.

So instead of lens cases for each lens, if I just bring the 100-400's lens case with dividers for padding, I could have a lot more flexibility. If I bring dedicated 24-105 and 50 lens cases it'll take up as much space but I'll always need to have the 100-400 in the toploader or unprotected in the bag. If I want to skip the toploader and just have the camera on a strap but still bring the 100-400 in the daypack, I can. I can always add socks or clothes to the case if I want to just have one of the smaller lenses in there with the other mounted. What do you guys think?

The canon 100-400 lens case is not well padded so I think if I go this route I should get a lowepro one instead. is the 11x26 the smallest option?

I still think I want the 100-400, and this kit seems manageable for walking around all day. If I swap it'll be to the 70-200 f4 and 1.4x so I'll switch to the appropriate toploader and lens case.

Is the r-strap a big improvement over the standard canon strap? I have to consider ordering one then as well.
    Last edited by StapledPhoto; 11-27-2011 at 10:20 PM.