I was recently asked to shoot some portraits of people visiting the old Santa Fe State Penitentiary. (I know, I don't do people) but since this is for charity, I accepted. I also asked if I could shoot parts of the prison independantly and was given permission to do so. I have never done any photo-journalistic type work but have always wanted to shoot this old prison---there is a lot of history there. If you aren't aware, the old Santa Fe prison was the sight of the bloodiest prison riot in U.S. History. It has been featured on many documentaries and in several prison movies and is rumored to be one of the most haunted places in the US. So my question: What now?

I have equipment, lighting and permission but have no clue how to shoot photojournalistic type material. I am guessing my two primary lenses should be my 10-22 and my 50 1.2L (should I consider renting something else?), I also plan to process everything in black and white---Is Silver EFX Pro worth the money for something like this? I really want to bring out the dark emotions and eerie feeling of this place, but I am not sure how to really communicate this through still images.

For me, this is a far stretch from wildlife and nature so any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks