Thread: Holiday trip to Sri Lanka, gear and sightseeing suggestions please!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Holiday trip to Sri Lanka, gear and sightseeing suggestions please!

Hello everyone!

I'm going on a two week holiday trip to Sri Lanka (Jan 21st - Feb 5th) with my girlfriend and would love to hear some suggestions on what gear I absolutely need and what places to see. We are going to stay in Koggala Beach Hotel (Google maps) and will probably do at least a couple of 1 or 2-day trips. The Yala National Park is on my list at least.

I'm going to take basically all my gear:
    • EOS 7D + spare batteries
    • EF-S 15-85mm IS USM
    • EF 85mm f/1.8
    • EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
    • Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM
    • Samyang 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye
    • Benro A-169M8 Travel Angel tripod + BH-0 ballhead
    • Nissin 622Di II flash
    • BlackRapid RS-5 strap
    • Burton Zoom backpack to hold the gear
    • Tamrac Rally 5 shoulder bag for shorter walks
    • 2 x 32GB CF cards + MacBook Air + 2.5" USB-powered portable HDD
    Anything essential missing? I will need to purchase a ND filter at least to get some cool long shutter wave shots. What would be a good strenght? Are the variND filters any good? I'm also trying to decide if I should get a 72mm filter or a 77mm one with step up ring so I could use it on both the 70-200 and 15-85. Do you generally use filters that much with longer lenses? What brand to get? B+W is a little pricey IMO so budget friendly but still good quality options are preferred. I'm thinking about a CPL for the 15-85 too but somehow I didn't seem to use it much when I had one with the 70-200mm f/4L IS USM. Perhaps I was doing something wrong, any tips on using a CPL?

Perhaps this is all for now, thanks in advance!
    Last edited by qwRad; 01-07-2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Added stuff to the gear list