Thread: Reikan FoCal - Automatic AF Micro adjustment software

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Well... I went and bought FoCal today. Previously I had set up a test rig for my 100-400L and after a fair amout of set up and testing I determined I needed a +5 at 400mm (unfortunatly I put all this effort into figuring out a testing scheme before John published his set up). So that lens was the one I started with when I got the FoCal loaded up. I did the fully automated test and it came up with a +5 adjustment (and it repeated several times). So it looks like it worked well on that.

I did 3 other lenses today also, and the big supprise was my 100mm L Macro... it showed it needed a +19 (very supprised). I think I need to do some more testing up close to see if that still holds true with less than a foot focus depth. I have some real sharp photos up close and I do not want to screw that up.

Edit:
    By the way, the lighting does matter. I ended up putting a couple halegen lights from the garage on the target, and that worked fine.

Pat
    Last edited by conropl; 01-07-2012 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Added lighting comment
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr