Before anyone prepares to jump down my throat, I haven't done anything stupid (yet). I'm an amateur photographer making a bit of tax-declared profit on the side from event photography, mainly kids' sports. This isn't a vast sum of money - it's mainly used to fund my equipment. I posted an internet ad offering my services as a second shooter for professional wedding photographers because I believe my skill is up to that level. However, I recently received an email:

I came across your ad while searching for photographers, we are getting married on the 28th july 2012 in swansea just off junction 45. We need someone to take our wedding pictures. At these times cost is everything and if we go ahead you would be our only photographer, we can discuss and give examples of what pictures we would like you to take and the rest can be taken at will.
thanks
Of course, the knee-jerk reply is 'absolutely not, wedding photography is a task for the professionals in that field'. I replied:

Hi [name],

Firstly let me thank you for considering me as your primary wedding photographer, I am flattered. I'd also like to level with you straight away by saying that I have never shot a wedding before and my internet advert was aimed at professional wedding photographers requiring a second shooter, from whom I could learn the unique skills required in this sector of photography. I deal mainly with children's sports photography, which is about a thousand times easier than shooting a wedding.

With the average UK wedding costing around £20,000, I sympathise with your situation, especially in the current economic climate. However, I would implore you to consider allocating more of your budget toward a professional wedding photographer. The expenses of a wedding all add up: the dress, the suits, the catering, the venue hire, the transport... the list seems endless, I'm sure - but most of these are only for one day. The photographs however, will exist forever. On your golden wedding anniversary, you probably won't look back and think fondly of the vol-au-vents at your reception, but you can pull out your wedding album and relive the day with vivid clarity, even when your memories are starting to get fuzzy around the edges. With the digital era, these photographs may be seen by your ancestors for hundreds of years to come! I apologise if I come across as overly dramatic, but I believe good wedding photographs are one of the most important parts of the celebration.

I am not able to personally vouch for any professional wedding photographers in Swansea, but I am familiar with two such professionals in the area: [names and details given].

I hope that you will take my advice on board, but if you truly cannot find the money in your budget for a professional wedding photographer, please contact me again and I will try to help you further.

Best wishes,

w349
My question is this... what if they come back to me saying they have absolutely no money for a wedding photographer, and that unfortunately Uncle Tom will have to take the photos with his kit lens DSLR and pop-up flash. I would consider doing the wedding for free, just to build a portfolio. Am I out of line?