Hi guys -

I just thought I would throw this out there for anyone that would like to comment or give me any insight. I guess I never really looked at gimbal heads before but now that I see a used one for sale (Manfrotto 393 Heavy Duty), it has sparked my curiousity. I don't know why I never considered one before and went with the Induro BHD2 ball head. Maybe because that way I could use it for all lenses and also I think I was under the newbie assumption that the gimbal heads were for the bigger rigs but I see this one states on B&H that it is for all telephoto lenses.

So, my questions being ...is a gimbal head really that much better for birding and wildlife than a ball head? Do the true advantages only really pay off if you have a tele over 500mm? What are the advantages/disadvantages? All ball heads are spec'ed by weight of your gear but I don't see any limitations for this gimbal so I assume that is a big advantage. Also, is it that much easier to track a BIF with a gimbal head? I have never used one so I am clueless!

I'd appreciate any input!

Denise