First off, I will give you an idea of my set-up when using flash, I have one 580 EX II, one 430 EX II and one very, very cheap Zeikos flash that came with my long ago original Rebel kit. Believe it or not, it does work well as a slave for fill etc. I use an Yongnuo RF-602TX Controller and Yongnuo RF-602RX wireless receivers. I also have an Opteka E-TTL/E-TTL II Flash Cord for when I use a flash on a bracket attached to my camera. For batteries in the flashes, I use eneloop.

Now for the problem ...

My flashes have become very unreliable and it has been extremely frustrating. I didn't know if the problem was me, the flashes, the batteries or the controller and receivers. With them firing a shot and then all of a sudden not for a few photos and then firing, I knew it wasn't my settings. So, I bought all new batteries and just installed them, and I STILL have the same problem.

Thru process of elimination tonight, I think I have narrowed the problem down to being my 580EX II! I bought this flash new 1/2010, shouldn't it last longer than 2 years of very limited usage!? What is the life span of a speedlight? Is it possible it is the little silver connectors on the bottom of the flash? Should I clean them, if so with what? I don't see how they would be dirty anyway since it is always in its case when not in use.

Any ideas of what I should do to fix it myself? I really need this flash and most definitely don't have the $ to buy another one and I am sure Canon would charge close to a new one to repair it. Is the 580EX II the only model that will work as a master for my 430EX II and my Zeikos? I am just wondering if I should try to pick up a used one but then I could end up with someone else's problem.

I swear I do not get through a day without something going wrong ...ERRR!! Sorry, I'm in a bad mood, I am in alot of pain and just racked up a ton of medical bills for myself today and now this problem tonight!