Howdy guys and gals,

I've 90% decided to convert my kit to primes for all bar the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II (can't get rid of that piece of magic glass).

My current kit is:

Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 17-40mm f/4.0L
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L
Canon 50mm f/1.8 II (rarely used)
Sigma 85mm f/1.4
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II

I've found myself using the 24-70mm very infrequently since I bought both the 17-40mm and the 85mm. I'm not really satifsied with f/2.8 in terms of depth of field (especially around the 24mm end) or low light ability. I recently travelled for an extended period and the 85mm f/1.4 was used the majority of the time because I really enjoy the narrow depth of field and ability to take good photos hand held in low light without having to bump the ISO up too far.

I bought the 17-40mm because I didn't feel like my landscape shots were dramatic enough at 24mm however I really wasn't blown away by the difference between 24mm and 17mm on the wide end. Certainly not in the same fashion that I was when I bought the Canon 10-22mm for my 40D after the 28-135mm was my widest lens. Don't get me wrong, it's a great little lens. It's got pretty good IQ and is a compact piece of kit to have on standby but I think I could deal with 24mm on full frame for landscapes. I often just take a few photos and turn it into a panorama later on anyway if I feel like I'm not getting it all in, in which case I'll generally use the 70-200mm for its superior IQ and reduced distortion which helps with stitching images together.

For example:

Taken at 17mm:

Iceland - The Blue Lagoon by Ben__Taylor, on Flickr

Taken at 24mm:

Wide Open Spaces by Ben__Taylor, on Flickr

Also at 24mm:

The Milky Way by Ben__Taylor, on Flickr

Pano with Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II:

Iceland - on the road pano by Ben__Taylor, on Flickr

So I guess I'm in two frames of mind:

1. Sell the 24-70 (they're still going for around the $1000 mark used here in Australia) and replace with the Canon 24mm f/1.4L and keep the 17- 40mm. This would cost me roughly an additional $500 but I'd get to keep the 17-40mm if I ever needed to go that wide.

2. Sell the 24-70 and the 17-40 and the Canon 24mm f/1.4L will cost me nothing.

Eventually I'd possibly look at the Canon 14mm f/2.8L as an ultrawide lens or even the 8-15mm fisheye for something more unique.
I haven't sold myself on the 24mm f/1.4L yet, and am also toying with the idea the TS-E 17mm f/4L but again this doesn't give me the wide aperture I really want and costs a bit more.

Would love to hear your thoughts - especially from any happy 24mm f/1.4L users.

Thanks in advance!

Ben