I got a few comments from folks that were surprised I was switching to Nikon, so why not start a thread. Yes, the rumors are true. I'm going to the D800. The primary reason is that I'm tired of waiting for Canon to get their act together and fix the low-ISO pattern noise that's plagued all my Canon cameras. There has been little to no improvement in the last 6 years (aside from 1D- and Rebel series cameras), and now Nikon is ahead in several other areas that are important to me as well (chiefly clean HDMI out and 50% more pixels). And now that they have replacements for *most* of my Canon glass (especially my favorite 24mm f/1.4) and fixed some of the most annoying problems (mirror cycling in liveview), there aren't as many barriers. That said, Nikon still has a number of annoying problems, including the star killer algorithm, hardcoded black clipping, white balance preconditioning, harmful analog gain, masked-off pixel removal, “lossy” LUT that was never updated when they went from 12 to 14 bits, etc. But Canon had their own laundry list of issues, and I can live with these.

Now... who's with me?