Quote Originally Posted by devsalvi

Hi George,

This is what i was referring to. I had started to think that i have wasted a lot of money and was actually feeling kinda stupid But i guess i can work with two 580exII. The setup i have in mind was to fire two external flashes from either side of the subject. But the more I think about it, the ST-E2 seems to be a mistake. I will see if i can make it work or i will be selling it soon on Ebay In my very own hasty way, i overlooked that i could use one of the 580s to trigger the other one. Its the urge to get "that thing" which has to be controlled!

Thanks,

Dev
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

If you don't use the ST-E2, you'll have to have one of the 580EX II's on the camera (or use an off-camera cord, but that's only about 3' long). One advantage of fixed off-camera strobes is that the light doesn't depend upon the camera position. You can move around for various angles and the lighting stays the same. With an on-camera flash, the light will change when you move. You're also limited in the direction of the light, unless you bounce the light indoors. If you're going to use on-camera flash, consider a flash bracket that will elevate the flash above the usual position. That will help reduce redeye and shadows.