@ Steve

I would consider getting another prime for that reason. The whole expanding a photographer's creativity is a really good point. I'd probably go with the Canon 35mm f/2. I was thinking about getting the Canon 28mm f/1.8 but I found that the lens is really soft wide open. Is there any other primes you'd recommend?

@ jrw

Technically, I'm spending my parents money as well. But most of the money will come from me. Haha.

Thanks for suggesting I'd get the 17-55mm f/2.8. I honestly don't know why a lot of people choose this lens. I can't trash talk the lens due to the fact that I've never held on in my hands or used one. I'm considering renting the 17-55 f/2.8 just to see what all the fuss is about. I really do like the 17-40 f/4 though because if I ever felt the need to upgrade to FF i'd have a walkaround lens for the camera. I too am critical about focusing. Liveview really does help in the long run haha.

@ patham

I'll consider getting the 70-200mm f/4 IS. I wouldn't mind try to save a little bit more for IS. Carrying weight really isn't a problem haha, It's just something that photographers have to deal with. And what doesn't kill you makes you stronger right? haha just kidding. But if I was really concerned about weight, I wouldn't get a new lens. I probably get the Fujifilm x100 or the Leica M9.