My two pennies (that really are probably only worth a hey penny) is that good-quality normal zooms are detrimental to every kit. When I say normal zooms, I mean the 24mm to 200mm range. Having the best quality zooms in that range is a "must have" for me. Thus, I have the 24-70 f2.8L and 70-200 f2.8L IS II (although the old 24-70 is probably not the king in this class anymore, as the new 24-70 is most likely better). These lenses are on my cameras 75% of the time. To me, everything else I purchase is for specialty purposes only, and for these purposes I buy prime lenses. I like to shoot salamanders and lizards, so I bought a macro lens. I like to shoot birds, so I bought a 400mm lens. Occasionally I shoot indoors, so I bought a fast 50mm (f1.4). When hiking, 99% of things that I shoot can be taken with the 70-200 (+ an extension tube). When walking around a city, 99% of the things that I shoot can be taken with the 24-70. It's only when I go out for a specific reason that I take my specialty prime lenses. Thus, to me, in this era of high quality zooms, I can't see why you would start a kit without filling in the 24-200mm range with the fewest amount of high quality zooms possible first. Yeah, the 70-200mm is heavy. But to me, it's more easily packable than three prime lenses and more convenient because I don't have to change lenses all the time. Granted, this wasn't always the case, as the quality of zooms used to be quite poor in comparison to primes. My travel kit for my 35mm Canon ftb was a 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, and a 135mm f2.

Now, if all you want to do is shoot wide angle landscapes, then just get the best landscape lens possible (I'd probably get a tilt-shift lens). Obviously the 24mm f1.4 II prime is going to outperform the the 24-70 f2.8L at 24mm, as it was designed specifically to provide the best image quality at that focal length. I just can't imagine that anybody building a kit would want to be locked into one focal length when there are very high quality zooms available that are much more convenient, and for the most part, provide images that are indistinguishable to 95% of people.

Have fun deciding.