I posted a thread a while asking some questions about the Canon 35mm f/2. I tried the 35mm f/2 at Calumet a couple weeks ago:

f/2

2012_04_06_4085 f/2 by dthrog00, on Flickr

f/2.8

2012_04_06_4086 f/2.8 by dthrog00, on Flickr

It is certainly true that taking pictures of my 18-135 lens on the counter probably isn't the best lens test, but regardless the f/2 sample does look pretty good.

I know some forum members use the 35L and I was just curious what you think of it. I understand there's a significant cost hit, but at the same time I've really enjoyed the 135L and this lens appears to be on a similar level and has a very useful focal length. The primary goal would be to get a really good lens for "normal" use on my crop camera today, but at the same time would give me an excellent starting position if I ever chose to go full frame in addition to improved sharpness at wide apertures, reduced CA, and superior autofocus.

Finally, do you find stitched panoramas processed with Photoshop Elements hold up ok as far as the join areas go? I have the 18-135 where I'd want to go wider, but when trying for maximum quality using a 35L stitched photo would appear to be an option too.

A sample 35-ish focal length I took that same day is attached. The Chicago sky line is seen in the distance. Obviously f/8 wouldn't be a necessary use for the 35L and I'm generally happy with the picture as is but I wonder what difference in resolution would be available.

2012_04_06_4025 by dthrog00, on Flickr

Dave