Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
Thanks everyone for the encouragement and advice! I have a few things to consider yet with the above scenerios on exactly how to offer the prints. I just don't think I will go the route of offering everything high-res on a CD/DVD/USB flash drive. If I do that, it sort of defeats the purpose of paying for my zenfolio site. I don't think the average person really understand or appreciates the benefits of high quality prints and would then take the route of a cheaper (to them just as good) route of Walmart. We all know that there is a huge difference! I am picking up two copies of my poster later today at Walmart and I hope it turned out ok! A number of web-sized watermarked shots on CD or USB drive seems good though.

Maybe this was the wrong way of thinking but I was offering a low hourly fee and then if need be due to the extent of the shoot, travel time for multiple locations and work/time involved in the processing, I could always take on slightly more profit onto the prints on my site on a client by client basis.

Lots to consider!
I think you are right about the ave. person. Also I have done family shots for my kids and they have taken a CD of full files to Walmart or Walgreens and were refused to make prints without a release because the photos looked too good to not be pro, Walmart said. For my son's wedding I took a CD to Walgreens to have some posters made and they required me to sign a release even thoght I am the owner of Mark Clem Photography. The posters did come out ok considering it was Walgreens. By the way, My package price for a portrait session is $75 and usually takes 1 to 2 hours so I think your price is good. I do ofter shoot 2 or three locations but they are usually within a few miles so it does not add much time. I have not traveled more than 40 miles for a portrait session so I have not charged extra. I have for weddings. I charge $300 for a wedding that is over 75 miles. Most weddings receptions last pretty late and I do not want to drive that far when I am that tired so this reimburses me for hotel.