Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions. You've given me a lot to research over the weekend.

@Eldarhua I'll check on Benro's equipment as I expect the vast majority of my use to be <100 mm. I had missed Gitzo's "safari" line of tripods as they were under the "bird watching" category. But, while they look similar to some of the others, they are interesting. It is also good to hear that you liked the GH1780QR ball head.

@Poik/Eric I've wondered if I'll end up as you did...starting off thinking small and light but finally getting a very solid, and a little heavier, set. For now, I am still planning on eventually having two set ups and want to definitely distinguish between the two. So, at this time, I am still thinking small and light.

@Conropl/Pat: I hadn't heard the "bad reports" on Gitzo heads. I guess this is why it pays to ask. I had looked at the Arca Swiss ball heads and was concerned about their weight. When I build the bigger system, I bet I use the Arca Swiss or RRS ball heads. How do you like the Induro tripod?

@Neuro/John: Thanks for the feedback. I worry about things like load ratings, which is why I've tried to stay with what I consider known brands. But the RRS video on the TQC-14, rated at ~25 lbs, did crack me up when the presentor suspended his entire body weight with the tripod. Both you and Pat have me rethinking the Gitzo ball heads. Actually, right now I am thinking the RRS BH30 is a better way to go. Granted, almost double the price.

@Eric: I appreciate the real world experience and this is one of the brands that I hadn't heard about and will look into....

@Rick/HDNitehawk: Well, this may seal the Gitzo head's fate. Noticable creep is something I want to avoid with the new system. I'll definitely let you know what I think of the GT1542 if I end up getting it. It is good to hear the GT2541 is solid. I had been considering that, but it is a bit heavier.

@Arnt: Let me know what you think of Sirui....I first heard about them in your thread. They actually have a tripod lighter than the GT1542.

Again, thanks for the feedback. It sounds like a number of us have been trying to wade through all the options recently. I appreciate all your help.

Happy New Year!
Brant