Thread: Lightweight/Traveling Tripod

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Plates

I wanted to update this thread on the Arca-Swiss plates and the tripod. I am still evaluating two ball heads, the Markins Q3T and the RRS BH-30. I'll post about those soon. But for now, a few thoughts on what this amateur photographer learned in assembling a traveling tripod system.

First, I have taken the advice given earlier in this thread and both ball heads I am evaluating mate with Arca-Swiss style plates. I have read that if you are going to use plates from multiple manufacturers (RRS, Kirk, Arca-Swiss, Markins, Wimberley, etc) that it is important to use the screw in release for the plates and not the quick release clamp. Even though they are all Arca-Swiss style, it appears that there are significant enough differences in plate dimensions between the manufacturers that the quick release clamp will not mate with all plates whereas the screw in clamp is essentially adjusted to each plate each time you screw it in. For example, RRS, whose quick release clamps are not adjustable, recommend that you only use RRS or Wimberley plates withthe RRS ball heads. Markins, whose quick release clamp is adjustable, still recommends that use only one brand of plate so that you do not have to adjust the set screw each time you switch plates.

With this in mind, I decided to use RRS plates. Their plates seem to be held in high regard. At some point I will likely buy a “L-plate” right now I am using a borrowed B7D plate (thanks Greg) for my 7D and the L84 for the 100-400L.

RSS Plates-1462 by kayaker72, on Flickr

RSS Plates-1459 by kayaker72, on Flickr

The plates are impressively light. I also like that there is a place for my Black-Rapid strap to screw right into the bottom of the plate. The B7D can also have straps attached. The only item that surprised me was that you need an allen wrench to screw the plate into your camera. Both plates came with allen wrenches, but that is something that I will now have to remember to keep with me at all times. My understanding is that RRS feels that this is a more secure design as you can better tighten the screw.

Also, coming from Manfrotto/Joby plates, which are universal in that they can be adapted to anything that fits a 1/4" screw, I learned during this process that RRS and certain other plate manufacturers I looked at customize their plates to fit each camera/lens. The key is the vertical edge that should help prevent rotation if the camera/lens is ever at an angle. This needs to be a specific distance from the screw, which is specific to each camera. This is nice as I often fought rotation with the Manfrotto/Joby plates. But it seems like several manufactuers also make universal plates.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 01-29-2013 at 02:25 PM.