Thread: Post your "Backup" process

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post your "Backup" process

I've seen questions here and there on the forums and thought it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to this. (I searched and couldn't find a similar thread).

Here's my backup process:

1. RAW files are downloaded from CF
    2. RAW files are edited in DPP or Lightroom
      1. Since DPP saves edits in the RAW file, those edits are backed up when I back up the RAW files
      2. I have Lightroom export the sidecar/XMP file when I export the edits to JPG, that way if I ever start a new catalog and want to re-edit the photos, Lightroom will import the sidecar file that contains the edits

3. All photos are stored in a hierarchical folder structure by date and file type:
      • Year
        • Month
          • Day (contains JPG files and these sub-folders)
          • RAW
          • PSD (if applicable)
          • DNG (if applicable)

4. I keep a copy of that data on an external hard drive (I try to keep it updated every month or so)
    5. I burn the data to Blu-ray discs and keep 1 copy at my house and another at my office where I'm employed.
      • I like this method for long-term storage, meaning anywhere from 6-12 months after the photos were taken, they get burnt to disc as by that time I most likely will not need or want to make any further edits, etc. to the photos.

I have a DIY built NAS that I keep in the basement (FreeNAS) and everyone 6 months or so I make a copy there too, just in-case. I haven't considered an online backup such as Carbonite (despite it being a really great online backup solution) due to the sheer amount of data that I have.
    Last edited by Photog82; 01-30-2013 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Added more detailed information
    --