I have raised this issue on this forum on several occasions but I'm still not ready to give up on it.

More often than I care to admit I have an out of focus subject in a group because I missed my depth of field guess.

Yes I have tables and iPhone apps that I can use to calculate depth of field to great accuracy,

but in the heat of battle changing f stops and ISO and focal lengths (not to mention white balance) I get an out of focus subject in a group

only because I let the depth of field slip. Or I move three feet closer and the whole depth shrinks. Then in post processing I realize ooops.

Ok what I want is a depth of field display in my view finder to remind me, it could even blink if it wants to so I pay attention.

All the necessary data is in the camera. Look on photoshop bridge metadata. Its right there focal length 70, lens 24-70 aperture f2.8 camera 5d MARK III,

and subject distance 2.7 meters.

What is not there is the depth of field which in this case is 24cm, why could it not display or flash this data.

Or a nice SIRI voice that says "are you really sure you can fit all your subjects in to this 24 cm space".

Does anyone else have DOF issues?

Thank you.