Just blew my entire camera-equipment budget on the 5DMIII. Thought I was going to go 6D, but after a week of shooting concerts with my 7D, I realized how important the AF system is, especially it's peripheral AF point performance. I feel like my shooting has gotten to the point where I don't to feel limited by my equipment, and I think the 6D has a few too many factors that make it less than ideal for concert shooting.

Anyway, the money I was going to spend on the 6D and a new lens went to the 5DMIII body. So now I don't have a general zoom for the 5D, as I've been shooting with the 17-55 EF-S on the 7D (and plan on using both bodies at concerts for now). So looking for advice. I need a relatively fast general zoom in the 17/24 to 50/70mm range. Should I get a cheaper Sigma or Tamron, or just use primes on the 5D (40 2.8, 50 1.4, 85 1.8) until I can afford the 24-70L? I guess with the 40mm 2.8, I'm only really losing about 12mm on the wide side once you calculate the crop factor on the 17-55 on the 7D, right?

And if I wait for the 24-70: REALLY wait for the 24-70II, or buy the earlier version on eBay?

Thanks for any advice!