Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle
Macro would be one of the few cases in which I would think the new rebel would be superior to the 40D. It has better low noise performance and better resolution, both of which are important in macro since macro requires lots of light and since one tends to crop macro pictures. You'll be using manual focus most of the time, and probably won't care too much about super fast frame rate or responsiveness (thus much of the advantage of the 40d is negated). The rebel's superior screen will be of use for manual focus with live view.

I also shoot shows for my university's newspaper. Therefore, I need the 40D's better AF accuracy in low light, as the XTi sometimes hunts for focus in these conditions. I also like the fact that the 40D has 9 cross-type sensors instead of a single one in Rebel bodies. Even though both cameras have only a sensor optimized for low light (the center one), I would like to be able to focus with the other points as well for portraits, etc. without having to think about the orientation of the sensor I want to use.

Note that I did not listed shows in my list of uses, because diffraction is really not an issue at f/1.8 !

Still, I understand that the T1i's better performance in low light is a good thing for shows and the like. I will keep my eyes open for a 60D, even though it might cost twice as much than a used 40D.

For macro shots, I like the fact that the 40D focussing screens can be changed (for the Ef-S screen, namely), which can be useful to preserve battery life (even though it's possible to focus using Live View). I liked the split-screens of film SLRs and this is the closer I can get without going with a third party screen.

On a side note : are SD cards as fast as Compact Flash ? I like the fact that I won't need to buy other memory cards if I buy the 40D over the T1i.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Carnathan
I think a low-cost full frame body would be a big seller. A refreshed
5D (add sensor cleaning, Live View ...) would be very popular.

Touché ! Some people were expecting a split in this model line (3D and 7D) before the 5D mkII was announced. Even though the 5D mkII seems to be a fantastic camera, its price point is way too high for many amateurs like me. A 7D of some sorts (a refreshed 5D) would be a nice addition to Canon's lineup.