I was taking my first foray into HDR last week and did something I haven't been able to duplicate. I wanted to take 7 shots at 1 EV intervals in order to give more gradient for the Essentials HDR software to use, instead of the three that normally come with AEB on my camera. I have a 40D, which I set to 2 second timer.I set AEB to +1,0,-1. I set the EC to -2 EV. I then carefully released the shutter timer, and to my surprise, it took all three shots by itself in quick succession after the timer counted down.

I tried to do the same thing, as best I could remember, for the same shot with EC set to +2 EV. This time, I didn't get the three quick shots, but instead had to release each one individually. I still used the timer each time. Since it didn't work, I carefully re-checked the settings to make sure the settings were the same, without disturbing the camera any more than necessary, but couldn't duplicate the behavior again.

I did not change the setting for the timer between shots, as far as I know. Any guesses why this happened once but not the next time? I would like to duplicate thisbehavior if possible.