Please be honest. Lack of brutality is appreciated, but useful criticism is appreciated more.

I'm getting the hang of this, slowly, but it's interesting how much of a gap there is between general theoretical understanding and actual application....

With these pictures, I had the lighting umbrella to the left, and lit up the wall behind her with the other flash. Later on,did something similar, but used the second umbrella to reflect some light to fill from the right side, but I haven't sorted those yet...

So far, I'm figuring out....

1) if you have a controlled background that's easy to blur, don't be afraid of stopping down. If you've got light, use it. It isn't so much a sharpness issue, but a depth of field. Just because a lens CAN do f/1.2, doesn't mean it'll work. Heck, most of the time, f/2.8 was too shallow. Even f/4 can be problematic. I have a whole bunch of pictures where I've only got one eye in focus, or maybe an eyelid, but not the eye itself! That may be okay, but maybe it isn't.

2) Positioning of lights and the camera and the subject is darn crucial. Move any of the three, and drastically different things can happen.

If you can clue me into some something based on looking at this, I'd appreciate it.

Shooting ModeManual Exposure
Tv( Shutter Speed )1/125
Av( Aperture Value )2.8
Metering ModeEvaluative Metering
ISO Speed100

Tv( Shutter Speed )1/125
Av( Aperture Value )2.8
Metering ModeEvaluative Metering
ISO Speed100

Tv( Shutter Speed )1/125