Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
I wouldn't go light tent route. I have one of those and it works well for jewelry and little things, but unless you have a lot of lights, you aren't going to get the lighting you want to make it work in the tent. I assume your client has stands for the guitars. I would use those when possible.

What do you have for lights? What are you using for a background? Diffusers? If you provide some specifics of what your shooting with we might be able to give you some ideas using what you have to make them pop. The suggestions are already pretty good, but I think they can be fine tuned knowing what your working with.
I am currently shooting with an on camera 580EXII and bouncing it off of the ceiling with the guitars laying flat on a table. I do have 3 other speed lights and radio triggers. I also have 2 continuous lights that each 4 bulbs in them on 4 different switches.

My biggest issue is avoiding reflections from the bare fluorescent light tubes hanging from the ceiling in the shop and I cannot take the guitars anywhere. He does not want reflections because the instruments are purposely made to look as if all the original gloss has worn off over a long time. He wants to see the cracks in the finish and the worn appearance of the metal parts that make the guitars look aged.

I do want to produce quality work but also I am trying to keep this as simple as possible....the location is 20 miles away, the volume of work is low and the money doesn't justify setting up an elaborate system each time.