"Camera Canada" ($2035, located in London, ON) and "The Camera Store" ($2077, located in Calgary, AB) are fairly similar in price to the normal B&H price when converted to Canadian (US$1799 is about C$1968 according to Google). Despite appearing more expensive, the Alberta store should actually end up around $100 cheaper than the London one, as you should only pay 5% GST, instead of 13% for both taxes... (Worked for me when buying a $200 dollhouse this spring). The Alberta store's selection is very limited though.

I'd say the prices are close enough to not worry about customs fees, and if Canon Canada will honour a US warranty (though I've heard they do). The big problem is that Canon Canada decided to forgo rebates this year, while the US has them. And they lower the price substantially (US$1599 is C$1749). In fact it makes theB&H option cheaper after tax, than the Canadian pre-tax price. Depending on the customs fee, it may still be cheaper after customs and tax, than the Canadian pre-tax price.

Right now, with rebates in place, there doesn't seem to be any good reason to buy it locally. With a reputable dealer like B&H, you shouldn't have any hassles with your online order, so don't let that get in your way.

Speaking of B&H, it sounds like a neat place to visit. http://www.inc.com/magazine/20090501/why-circuit-city-failed-and-why-bh-thrives.html?partner=fogcreek.