Thread: 7D II Reviews and Comments from those who now own it

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I am seeing things that are making me think the x1.6 resolution crop theory is a real thing. More playing required.
    This is, potentially, very exciting!!

It appears to me that much of the 7d II's hyped IQ improvements are from the in camera JPG processing.
    Not really a bad thing, as so many, from Pros to amateurs, shoot jpg. There is some hope for sensor improvements. The QE of this sensor is very high and I have seen postulate that this is the first step to Canon improving their sensors.

the RAW file itself is bland and noisy and can take quite a bit of adjustment to get to that point.
    This is very depressing.....

You are just playing with us at this point

Ok more seriously...thanks for the updates. You are hitting on exactly what I am interested in hearing. Both from a general monitoring of Canon improving their technological advancement standpoint and the one thing that could possibly tempt me to buy a 7DII.

On the crop factor. I've seen it estimated that the "true" reach advantage of the 7D was only ~1.19x compared to the 5DIII based upon a comparison if different resolution results of different reviews. Which is a far cry from 1.6x. This generally is consistent with the tests I ran where I saw a bit better resolution (not necessarily IQ) in reach limited situations from the 7D vs 5DIII, but nothing like I would have expected. It seems that the 70D may have closed that gap a bit, but, if the 7DII is getting closer to 1.6x (even 1.4x) that would really be something, and might tempt me.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 11-20-2014 at 12:50 PM.