Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody know when the 100mm macro lenses will be in? Holy crap I want one before the end of the month!!

Does anybody know when the 100mm macro lenses will be in? Holy crap I want one before the end of the month!!

Every store on earth seems to be out of this lens, and apparently it's because there's a back order? You'd think in tough economic times, they'd want to never have a lens out of stock like this, with every store clamoring for them.

On the flip side, I guess they didn't want to over do it.....but still I want one! haha

Any inside info here?

Re: Does anybody know when the 100mm macro lenses will be in? Holy crap I want one before the end of the month!!

Lone Sierra....just checked Amazon (never a purchasing issue) and J & R (I've ordered a few things w/out issues) both are showing they have the lens, but the prices are a little higher than B&H and Adorama....but if you're desperate and extra 50 or so won't hurt....too much. []

Good luck

Bill

Re: Does anybody know when the 100mm macro lenses will be in? Holy crap I want one before the end of the month!!

I think this lens will be my next lens purchase.

Forgot to add....it's on my list also, but it will come after I've decided and purchased either 70-200 2.8 IS or 70-200 4.0 IS.

I then believe my kit will be done; currently 17-55 2.8 IS, 100-400. Maybe a prime, but I think the 17-55 will cover my needs there.

Of course I will always lust the 500 f4....but for a hobby the cost of this lens is beyond my comfort zone.

But I digress....sorry.

Bill

I do a lot of food and products shots and I feel like I should already have a macro lens but I don't. I usually get in real tight with my 16-35 on the 35 end or with my 50 1.4.

One more lens after that and that will be 35 1.4 mkII when it drops.

Of course I will always lust the 500 f4....

And good reason too, if you realy want the the 500mm focal length and fast f/stop you could get a FD 500mm f/4.5 L and convert it too EF mount. It's not as convenient too use, but it's a 500mm lens for roughlyaround a grand if my memory serves me right.

I went through that same wait a few weeks back. I finally just pre-ordered through Adorama, and got lucky when it shipped in just a few days. It is frustrating that such a popular lens is so hard to get ahold of, but in comparison to the life of the lens, I suppose a week or two isn't much. Anyhow, a pre-order arrangement will at least make sure you get one as soon as they get them in rather than hoping you catch the site at the right time, just a thought.

I actually found one at Ritz near me. I wouldn't buy it there, since I can find it for over a hundred less elsewhere.

I put it on my camera, and it's an amazing lens....but I think I just might go with the EF-S 60mm. It's a little more hand holdable than the 100. I know it's a fast 100, but still, you NEED a tripod for real close up shots. I think the 60 will be easier to work with....even if it only works on crop cameras.

Of course, 100 will give a little better bokeh on portraits...but you'll have to be too far away IMO.

I dunno. I still think the 60 is in my sights.

I have the 100mm f/2.8 macro on my list, too. I don't think handholdability is an issue for me. I've used my 28-135 for "macro-type" shots and had good success with it at 135mm and wide open. Also, the close focus distance of the 100mmshould make tight shots easy to accomplish. Don't forget that the same framing on the same camera with the 100 can be accomplished from a greater distance. The 100 is more versatile if you ever get a chance to buy a FF body, too.

Between the two, I would definitely get the 100 over the 60. Don't forget, the 100 makes an outstanding, sharp portrait lens as well.

Yeah, I've been weighing the options pretty heavily, and I'm just not sure. The 28-135 also has a 3ish stop IS. The 100 has nothing. I know it's fast, but when I was hand holding some macro shots the other day with it, I wasn't getting good results. It might just be the light I had to work with, but it was tough getting those close shots without a tripod.

It definitely is a great portrait lens, that's for sure, and if I make the FF plunge down the road it would work there too...I'm just not sure. I'm more attracted to the more hand holdable 60. I haven't made up my mind QUITE yet but I think I'm still going that direction.

Thanks for the input!