Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B&H Photo - Impact Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit

B&H Photo - Impact Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit

I've got a pair of 430EXs and aST-E2. I've enjoyed them so far but I'm very limited as my lighting set ups depend on available places to place my flashes.

I've been thinking about ordering this Impact Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit from B&H. Keeping in mind that price is a major issue for me and I'm just getting started with off camera lighting does this seem like a good deal for an entry level set up?
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Re: B&H Photo - Impact Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit

I started with this kit or one very similar to it. I still use the stands & brackets but I soon found that the umbrellas were not big emough. It's a good place to start though.

I bought this kit from B&H. For someone just getting started I
    don't think you can beat the price. In my opinion the build quality is
    better than one might expect for the price. As you get more comfortable with
    these you will know what to look for when you choose to upgrade. As
    you start 'collecting' more studio gear you'll find that you can never have
    too many light stands.

I agree, I found these umbellas a little on the small size - even in a pretty small studio. If you're wanting to use these outside with your speedlite, you may want to pick up a larger umbrella.

This might work for you.

Strobist Starving Student SX4 light kit (no flashes)

I read this thread yesterday and wasn't going to suggest it because with the price hike, I saw no real advantage to your situation. But you get the 43" umbrellas, basically the same lightstands & flash mounts, two sets of gels, and other accessories. When I save up the money, I'm going with this kit and purchasing flashes & triggers separate.

-Rodger

I really appreciate the responses. I was mostly wanting to be sure it wasn't going to be too cheap. You know like all of that as seen on TV stuff; possibly a good idea in principal but poorly/cheaply implemented.

I went ahead and ordered the kit from B&H. My budgetwasone-hundred dollars. I blew it by eleven dollars when shipping was added in. I guess that'll come out of next months Guinness budget [:P].
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Quote Originally Posted by Rodger

This might work for you.

Strobist Starving Student SX4 light kit (no flashes)

I read this thread yesterday and wasn't going to suggest it because with the price hike, I saw no real advantage to your situation. But you get the 43" umbrellas, basically the same lightstands & flash mounts, two sets of gels, and other accessories. When I save up the money, I'm going with this kit and purchasing flashes & triggers separate.

-Rodger

Those umbrella brackets are better. The Impact ones have knobs in the back that limit movement and won't let you put the umbrella vertical. It doesn't come up often but when it does those are a pain in the butt. you can turn them around but then the flash isn't pointing at the center of the umbrella.

I don't think it's too cheap at all. Buy according to your needs. (If only I could get my dad to see that I need the weather sealing of a 1-series body and a 70-200 f/2.8 IS for a summer camp I'm shooting on Lake Michigan this summer!)

But if you find those brackets to be a pain in the butt, here is the link to MPEX's strobist gear page. They're about twenty bucks or less depending on what you get.

WellI just got the kit from B&H. I'm impressed with the build quality and couldn't be happier. I've taken a handful of pics and I'm starting to see the possibilities. I can't wait to get a background set. Eventually, I'm probable going to get the B&H Photo - Impact Background Support Kit. I comes with a white cloth background. From my understanding you can use a gel on your background flash to tint a white background to suit your needs.

You can save some cash and make a back ground support out of some pvc pipe and adjustable painter poles. Do a search on diyphotography.net for the steps.

Actually I've thought about doing just that, (and just may do it)but don't thinkI could do it as light weight and portable. I'll likely be moving my kit in the wife's Altima a good bit, Gas mileage keeps my Titan parkedfor the most partoutside deer season. If it were to be a permanent setup I'd probably weld something out of some 1 inch square tubing I have laying around. I do plan to paint some of my own backgrounds eventually. I wish I had room for a semi-permanent studio. The only available space is in the garage and I live in Mississippi, it's 98 out right now. Besides, unlike allot of people I know,I believe the garage is where you keep you vehicles.

I'd be lying if I didn't admit that my wife is the family comptroller and that once she wants something it's easier for me to get. She thinks we need a background support system.I took some great pics with misc. crap in the background, an "accident" of course [6].) Then she suggested it! I hate to brag but sometimes I'm so smooth it's embarrassing [:$].