Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
He was comparing a scanned image to the R5.
He said he was using a Epson 600. I bought a V850Pro last December and have been scanning old family photos.
He is also using Silverfast which I have heard numerous bad things about. There are a multitude of settings and ways you scan which impact the outcome.
There is also his developing skills, type of film, processing skills and skill using the digital camera.
I am not sure how much information you can derive from a comparison with so many variables.
All true, but I would say that consistent natural tones like see a bit of the light blue from the mural on the model's nose in the film vs digital image, that seems like a legitimate potential difference. If I was to boil down my thoughts, I was wondering if he was comparing jpg (digital-FF R5) to Tiff (medium format scanned film) and that was the cause of the issue. But, having seen a comparison of FF (R5) vs medium format (Fuji GFX, so both digital) over the weekend that essentially was pointing out the same differences, this may also be, if it is legit, FF vs medium format. And, really, another way of saying this is that you get increased tonality with increasing light captured/sensor size, which has always been my understanding. More light captured, there should be more subtle details.