Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
Thanks for the info, Brant. Like you, I tend to shoot in short bursts so probably a smaller card would be fine. Based on the file size of the R6 (slightly more MP than the R3), even a 64 GB will hold close to 3,000 RAW images. I can’t imaging shooting that many frames in a session, even at 30 fps, and I generally prefer more cards than bigger ones. If I shot video I may feel differently…but I don’t. So given that, I’ll probably pick up a pair of 64 GB CFe cards and see how it goes.

I also need to sort out the SD cards. I have a pair of 64 GB cards that I swap for my EOS R (they came in a bundle with the camera, along with a couple of video accessories that I gave away). However, they’re UHS-I cards and while that wasn’t an issue with the R, I think they’ll be too slow for the R3. I’ll pick up a pair of 64 GB UHS-II SD cards and see how they perform with writing RAW simultaneously to CFe and SD. If that slows it down, I’ll write just to the CFe and periodically Image Copy the files over to the SD during downtime (to mitigate against card failure).

I’ll definitely enjoy the R3, whenever it comes. In the meantime, I have an RF 70-200/2.8 showing up next week.
Regards to the RF 70-200 F/2.8, nice! Everything about it seems good, but the size and ability to pack it upright in particular makes it appealing. I am not sure what my first RF lens will be and when I will start making the transition, but that lens could easily end up in my bag.

After my last post, I took a look at the R3 specs a bit more. Canon has the buffer depth rated at 150 RAW images. Assuming 30 MB per file for the R3, 60 MB/sec UHS-I, 180 MB/sec UHS-II and 500 MB/sec CFE, you are looking at 2 fps, 6 fps and ~17 fps after the buffer has filled and 75 sec, 25 sec, 9 seconds to clear the buffer. If you ever fill it.

As Joel proved, UHS-I cards will really work just fine for most of us even in action instances. Most of us just will not take that many images that quickly. That said, UHS-II does seem to strike a nice balance.