View Poll Results: How many Megapixels is ideal for you?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • 20-25 MPs

0 0%
  • 25-30 MPs

3 27.27%
  • 30-40 MPs

2 18.18%
  • 40-60 MPs

5 45.45%
  • >60 MPs

0 0%
  • <20 MPs

0 0%
  • Why one? Two bodies, the R3 at 24 MP and the R5 at 45 MPs

1 9.09%
  • Why one body? I want multiple sensor resolutions and I will explain below.

0 0%

Thread: How many MPs?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    A decent pixel density for me would be around 350 DPI (Or higher if I can help it) for the maximum print size I would typically print. I currently have a 24" printer and so that boils down to roughly 45/50mp. Just taking the pixel width of the image and then the width of the print.

But as we go up the resolution scale, it takes more and more resolution to get a significant change in DPI. The awesome GFX 102 MP sensor will give about 483 DPI on a 24" print, this is definitely a substantial difference but not as extreme as the 102mp seems. At least when others look at it the typical reaction is "Who in the world needs that!" But even at a 24" print, it's not nearly so extreme.

But we can't talk about resolution without talking about all the other factors like ISO performance, what aperture you used, how sharp is the lens, any motion blur ect. It can negate the full potential of a given resolution. Or to put it another way, you'd be surprised what you can muster out of a lower resolution sensor under perfect conditions and settings. Like studio setup or an ideal landscape situation.

This of course doesn't take into account what someone is happy with.

But I'll take 483dpi if I have the opportunity. Heck, I'll take a 400mp image if/when technology makes it practical.

Now granted many many MANY people don't even print at that size. So it has more to do with how high is the resolution of your display device at that point. But I can think of situations where it is great, like in S21 ultra. It has a crazy high resolution which gives it more digital zoom ability. So there can be advantages in certain applications beyond just the end result in a print.

But this is just me. I like resolution.

If we gonna dream big, really around 1400dpi, about the limit or near the limit which the human eye can see the tiny droplets of ink in a print, at any given size is ideal. Because you eliminate interpolation. The argument then becomes how substantial is that difference. Probably not big. But this is theoretically where any more is a waste of resolution.
    Last edited by Fast Glass; 01-08-2022 at 06:55 AM.