Thread: 1Dx III VS R3

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I have the 1D IV and it was always faster than any of the 5D body's. I always contributed this to the battery power. I actually ran comparisons on the my 500mm and the 1D IV with a timer. On smaller lenses speed was never noticeable but hit rate on in focus pictures was always higher by several %.

I would expect similar for the R5 vs the 1Dx III.

However the first lens I tried on my R5 was the EF 35mm f/1.4L II. As you know the lens is great because of the critical focus between 1.4 and 2.0 and the interesting bokeh it generates. It did great for me, but I only used it a few days.

Another lens I tested on the R5 was the EF 180mm F/3.5L Macro, and I thought it was much quicker to focus than it did with the DSLR bodies. I was actually somewhat impressed. The lens had a reputation of being very slow.

So far the critical narrow DOF focus I thought has been good.

Did you compare the EF and RF 85mm on the R5?

Not to doubt what you are saying, but I would put both lenses on the R5 and do a chart test in MF wide open to make sure it isn't a lens issue.
    Or even just a simple comparison of walk around shots on the R5 with the EF 85mm and an adapter.

But, I'm EXTREMELY curious now after this conversation to try and rent an R3 for a direct comparison.

I do have a date to go with my buddy to do a direct apples to apples comparison with all my lenses and his lenses with the 1Dx III and his R5. And record the results along with possibly a video of it. My first hand at video making.

Because I don't feel like an extremely exhaustive comparison has ever been done.