Thread: R5- Longer term thoughts

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    @JH

Thats what I was saying earlier. Yes Sports people and many other types of work can use less resolution to keep files small. But with S-RAW you can have a smaller file size option and have high resolution when it is beneficial like cropping in a bird or wildlife shot. Or maybe even a photogernalist who might be reach limited. It be very convenient to be able to hit a custom function button and shoot full resolution if the shot called for it.

As far as those that say a 5-series is gonna make people happy because you are probably not shooting speed. I think that is not really even the intended market of a 1-series in the first place. The 1-series is definitely for a niche market and in that niche market I think a high resolution option would be welcomed by at least a good number of people. Are they the majority or minority I can't say. But enough where it be worth while to my thinking.

I am not a fan of the 5Ds R AF after being spoiled with the consistency and accuracy of the 1-series. It's alright, but doesn't blow me away. It is just so much more accurate, sensitive and consistent a 1-series AF that it is nice to have even for a landscape shot. Knowing it is infocus basically 100% of the time regardless of how challenging the situation is really nice. I don't have to over shoot and constantly pixel peep on the back of my camera. It is so nice.

And I say basically 100%, but in practice it is 100%. I rarely have to double check if a landscape shot is in perfect focus. It works extremely well.

But as much as I adored the 1Dx III, which gave me everything I ever wanted in a body and more. Besides having a lack of resolution. With an aging mount system and it costing 7k after tax, I had two of them. It just was too much of investment too keep. Hence I really REALLY hope the R1 has a 45/50mp sensor. It would be a dream camera for me.
    Last edited by Fast Glass; 05-12-2022 at 07:15 AM.