Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post

R5 cons:

Okay I officially don't like the single-point focus. The focus point is way too big. We were photographing bear cubs, and even when I put the focus box right on a cub it would often miss and grab something else like adjacent grass. I tried switching to spot AF to make the box smaller, but the performance diminished noticeably in the low-light conditions we were often in (the lens would hunt back and forth). By comparison, the regular-sized focus box on the 1DXIII is much smaller, and when I put it on an animal, it grabs the focus right away and never ever loses it. The focusing area is smaller of course, but as long as the box is on the animal, it will always (always!) be in focus. Not so with the R5.

I'd be interested in hearing from those who have the R3, if these issues are also present in that camera. But overall, I'm super pleased with how the whole system worked.

That is the reason I went ahead and ordered the R3. I do hope the R3 doesn't have this problem.

One thing I noticed about the big point, it seems that it actually focuses toward the bottom of the point. For instance focusing on a Doe behind a log. If I raised the top above her head and the lower on her face it would hit.