Thread: R1, general thoughts and updated info.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    What many people miss when they are speculating about a new 1 series is that it is limited by the processor speed and there are just certain things Canon wants the camera to do. Some of those things are not obvious. I would imagine that at the very least it will be as good as the R3 at handling rolling shutter. I would speculate that any sensor put in the R1 would read as fast or faster than the R3. That said speed limitations will probably negate an extremely high MP camera, but not in the future. Canon will most likely not take a step back on any spec.

My guess is a body in the 32mp range.

I expect to see improvement across the board. The R3 has impressed me, so much so that the R1 will most likely be a pre-order when it comes out.

Frame rate? Is 30 fps not enough?

Maybe by the time it comes out there will be a 120mp R5s R as well.
    I think you are pretty spot on about this, while I would love for the R1 to have 50mp like the A1. Canon has been historically been pretty conservative on their high end bodies as far as resolution so I'm not at all surprised to see it in the 30mp range. But I think any prediction above 50mp being very unlikely.

But if we limit the FPS to 30, which is a safe bet. 50mp would not be an unreasonable guess either, just a matter if Canon is making this an extremely fast body and go for more the Nikon's approach with something like 120fps or is it gonna be still very fast but have 50mp or more? I'm not holding my breath too much on the latter.

I think it will be such an improvement that I can deal with it and use another body for high resolution needs.
    Last edited by Fast Glass; 07-02-2022 at 08:52 PM.