Thread: Transitioning to RF?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My opinion is that there are very limited reasons to upgrade any lenses to RF.
    Unless you have the cash to burn for limited returns I recommend staying with EF.
    Keep in mind that I know have the following RF lenses and the only real benefit I see:
    24x70 L it has IS but it seems larger. The EF versions are excellent.
    70x200 f/2.8 L it is much smaller and more compact, can not use extenders. The EF versions are excellent.
    100x500mm it has no equal really so it is the one exception.
    600mm F/4 less weight and better balanced. The 600mm F/4 II would be an excellent lens to hold on to if you weren't trying to pick up a few pounds.

I still have all my EF lenses and have debated whether to sell them or not. Much of the EF stuff is already fire sale prices IMO and I am thinking about gifting mine if a family member takes an interest.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Much of the EF stuff is already fire sale prices IMO and I am thinking about gifting mine if a family member takes an interest.
    I think many photographers may be willing to be adopted for a few of those gifts ;-).

Thanks Rick. I was wondering what you thought of your new gear. Didn't know you had picked up the RF 600 f/4.

One small tweak I may make to my kit as it looks like I am staying EF for the foreseeable future would be to start using the drop in filter adapter and not have to pack multiple sizes of different filters (I typically travel with 6 different front end filters). They wouldn't be stackable, but I do not often do that anyway.