Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R1, general thoughts and updated info.

Might be tempting for birds in flight if the AF is in the same ball park as the Sony system......otherwise I probably will stick with R5 for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Glass View Post
    Well Adorama accidentally leaked the R1 specs. Gist of it was 30mp, 240fps and a dual sensitivity sensor similar to their cinema products which promises 16 stops of dynamic range.
    Seems that was bogus, as it was a straight copy-paste from a Canon Rumors spec list (and I really doubt Canon would ever claim something like 'Better dynamic range than the EOS R3 and EOS R5' in a spec list). Current rumor is a 24 MP sensor with a faster readout speed than the R3, with an AF system that can detect horizontal lines. Plus the 'Action Priority AF' that Canon mentioned in the development announcement.
    Last edited by neuroanatomist; 05-30-2024 at 02:45 PM. Reason: correct typo

There are some pictures that are almost certainly the R1 floating around. Overall, I like the look of it, the general layout, etc. As for the rumor'd specs, I am constantly reminded that 24 MP is enough by the 24x16 prints I have on my walls from the 7D and 5DIII. 16 bit RAW is potentially interesting. As would be the Quadpixel AF, granted, it is very rarely I run into issues with my R5, but hey, it is likely better. Overall, it seems like what the "1" series has always been, work horse flagship. The best and most dependable. A dependable tool that will help you get the shot.

A Canon EOS R1 Roundup, and a few more things – Canon Rumors

If that's the case it is all bogus.

Canon rumors is just a gag site full of speculation under the pretense of having some kind of inside connections. Unless it comes from Canon or some kind of known source. (Which we would all be able to reference). Everything else is just them making up stuff out of thin air.

I would have thought Adorama be more reliable than that to just quote known baseless rumors.

But I agree with your sentiment of the verbiage. I only briefly looked at it once and going off memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    As would be the Quadpixel AF, granted, it is very rarely I run into issues with my R5, but hey, it is likely better.
    QPAF (or the functionally equivalent alternating orientation DPAF) would be good. As you say, issues are rare for me as well, since louvered closet doors and split rail fences are not my usual subjects. A bigger problem for me that I hope gets addressed is the failure to achieve focus in an extreme defocus situation. It's reasonably common for me to switch back and forth between close and far subjects, and I find that frequently my R3 simply cannot manage it. If I give it a manual assist with a twist of the MF ring to get closer to the ballpark, it locks on.

The separate PDAF sensors on the better DSLRs (starting with the 40D) had dedicated sensor lines to detect extreme defocus. DPAF really seems to struggle with this, probably because of the very short 'baseline' for detecting the phase difference. Canon had a couple of patents publish earlier this year that describe algorithmic methods of dealing with extreme defocus. Since that means these patents were filed >18 months ago, I hope the improvements find their way into the R1's AF system.