Thread: Time to update the laptop

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Time to update the laptop

Looked at the recently announced Copilot+PC ARM based models vs. x86 models vs. Macbook Pro.

Falls under the heading of 'next month' is the best time to buy electronics.... always, but....

Goal: update the 5 yr old dell laptop (now that I am effectively fully mobile for the next year or so) to something that can handle the multi frame stitching, larger files sizes, etc.

Parameters: not many other than pay once to get it done and revisit it in another 5 years or so.

Copilot+ PC - my concern is that the reviews have been poor when really doing the graphics work. And may have compatibility/stability issues.
    X86 models - substantively outperform Copilot+ and are well vetted/supported
    Macbook Pro (max) - a few hundred more than x86 but may be 'worth it'. Challenge is that I am an android phone user, perhaps some of the integration will be clunky (i.e. ms office products? thoughts/experiences?). Also the 16" is the only one w/ the cooling to take advantage of the max chip.

Thoughts?

Mike
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

I have a 14" M1 Pro MBP, and wife has 16" M1 Pro MBP. I find the 16" to be quite heavy, and wouldn't want to be lugging it around, though the extra screen real estate is nice. Perhaps find a store where you can judge for yourself.

Apple offers the Max chip in the 14" model as well. Both of these have cooling, only the MacBook Air is fanless. The first 14" Max vs 16" Max video I found shows the same scores in Geekbench 6, but also the same scores in Cinebench, where you'd expect an extended runtime to potentially cause throttling (it's a 10 minute test).

If under heavy load a lot, the 16" does have a larger battery, and will last longer. That said, the only time you'll really make use of the Max's extra performance is during an extended operation, such as AI noise reduction, export, or panorama stitching. Everything else is pretty much immediate already on an M1 Pro. If you don't necessarily need these operations be as fast as possible, you'd be able to consider the cheaper 14" Pro, or 16" Pro options. Faster AI denoise would be nice, so I can see where you'd want performance for stitching too. Just remember whatever the price increase over the Pro is, it's being paid solely to improve that. For me these would be occasional tasks, not worth the money. For someone shooting a lot, it could very easily be worth the time saved.

During prime days (right now), 14" MBP is $300 off, 16" MBP is $500 off (according to MacRumors). Also be sure to check Apple refurbished inventory to see if you can snag a deal on an acceptable configuration. What's in stock varies daily.

If you're after performance, x86 high-performance laptops tend to have really poor battery life, expecting to be moved, but used plugged in at their new location. You'll be mobile, but will you have access to power? If not, this should be one of your biggest concerns on these machines. If you can't find a battery life result, assume it's abysmal.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Updating to note Best Buy (w/ membership) is offering $600-$700 off 16" models. See https://www.macrumors.com/2024/07/15...pro-discounts/
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Thanks Dave/Joel for all in the input. I don't expect to be lugging he laptop through airports etc. The mobility is inside my 45' Class A motorhome (Kayaker has stayed in it). Will always have power - either solar, plugged in at a park or generator (when it rains).

Will be in Glacier the last week of July and Banff the month of August sans week 3. Planning to catch up w/ Jonathan, etc.

Guests with Canon gear are always welcome - Calgary is your airport .

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    Updating to note Best Buy (w/ membership) is offering $600-$700 off 16" models. See https://www.macrumors.com/2024/07/15...pro-discounts/
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

I don't know a lot of details about battery specs but I gave up on PC's a long time ago ..... the MacBooks just perform, seldom ever glitch or crash, they don't ever seem to get bogged down by internet use. Of course they do integrate with iPhones better than Android. I would get a MacBook loaded up with the most features you can afford ..... you will be good for at least 7-8 years. The downside is, at that point, the machine will still be working great but probably won't support their newest OS.