Thread: Canon R1 has been announced

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    The R1 got cross-type pixel AF. Dual pixel * 2 planes ~= quad.
    Correct. It's not technically quad pixel, which would be each pixel divided into four sub-pixels. Instead, it's dual pixel with alternating pixels being split in an orthogonal orientation. Canon filed patents on both approaches. Functionally, either one addresses the need of providing the ability for the R1 to focus on both horizontal and vertical features (something no other Canon MILC to date can do). Cross-type AF points by any other name...

I expect the cross-type AF will be a significant improvement, especially with the AI-driven AF algorithms they've added. The pre-shooting buffer that now outputs separate RAWs will also be a great feature.

Early reports by sports shooters like Jeff Cable indicate that the AF is significantly improved over the R3, and that the eye controlled focus is also improved. I'll get to find out myself in November. I'm glad that Canon Rumors got the day/time of the preorder opening spot on, I was able to set an alarm and my immediate preorder means I'll actually get one in November, instead of having to wait for a subsequent allotment (those were the following Jan/Feb for the R3).
    Last edited by neuroanatomist; 07-18-2024 at 03:38 PM.