Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Canon R1 has been announced

Taking a step back, the R5 is really Canon's comparable "Flagship" and the R1 is really a unique offering aimed at a specific audience. The R5/A1/Z8 have similar MP (45-50) and fps (10-12 mechanical and up to 30 electronic). A simplistic comparison, sure, but two key features that are almost identical.

Going back 12 years, the 5D3 was 6 fps and the 1Dx was 12 fps. At the time, that was a significant and meaningful differentiation.

I am sure they are coming, but it will be interesting to see the comparisons of the R5 II to the A1 and Z8. But I might adjust my thinking a bit and start considering the R5 II as a co-Flagship camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Taking a step back, the R5 is really Canon's comparable "Flagship" and the R1 is really a unique offering aimed at a specific audience.
    I suppose it's semantics. The best or most important thing owned or produced by a particular organization." Canon says the R1 is their flagship, so it is." The R5 II will probably sell 6-7 times as many units as the R1.

The Toyota Century is their flagship SUV, it costs $170,000. They'll sell many more Land Cruisers, though...and even more RAV4s.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Going back 12 years, the 5D3 was 6 fps and the 1Dx was 12 fps. At the time, that was a significant and meaningful differentiation.

I am sure they are coming, but it will be interesting to see the comparisons of the R5 II to the A1 and Z8. But I might adjust my thinking a bit and start considering the R5 II as a co-Flagship camera.
    I think that's when Canon really started pushing the 5-series into the professional realm with the 5DIII. Same AF as the 1D X, which for Canon was a big differentiator for the older 1-series bodies.

For someone who wants more MP, the R5 II is almost a no-brainer. As I've said before, while I'm not opposed to more, the 18-24 MP range is enough for my needs. For me, the 1-series (and R3) is more about ergonomics.