Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I do not want to start a riot...or be stoned to death...but question: anyone using both Canon and Nikon gear? .....

I do not want to start a riot...or be stoned to death...but question: anyone using both Canon and Nikon gear? .....

1) Why did you decide to go with Canon/Nikon?

2) Which one do you find easier to use?

3) Lens quality? Which one do you prefer...C vs N...if you care to go into description and comparison or just any rationale will do.

4)which features from Nikon would you like to see on your Canon? Or vice versa

Thanks a bunch!

Re: I do not want to start a riot...or be stoned to death...but question: anyone using both Canon and Nikon gear? .....

I use Canon and not Nikon... but that is only because I cannot currently afford to run both systems.

Quote Originally Posted by BES

Canon had a better camera and lens lineup when I purchased my D-SLR. Now it is fairly even.

Since I use Canon, it takes me a few moments to get oriented when I look at Nikons. I would say that they are fairly equal.

4)which features from Nikon would you like to see on your Canon?

A bunch!
    • Weathersealing on x0D series and 5D series--like Nikon's D300 and D700
    • More AF points on x0D series and 5D series--like Nikon's D300 and D700
    • 100% viewfinder coverage on x0D series and 5D series--like Nikon's D300.
    • More switches (like Nikon) for things such as drive mode and (maybe) metering.
    • 3D color matrix metering--I've heard that it is awesome.
    • Ability to assign one button to lock both the exposure and focus--at the same time. I find it annoying to only have one function available at any time.
    • Instant switching from AF to MF by turning the focus ring. With Canon's full-time-manual focusing available on USM lenses, you must either let the camera finish focusing or hit the focus lock (see my previous point). With Nikon, you can twist the focus ring even during focusing, and the focus motor will stop as if by magic--letting you adjust focus immediately. (I tried it out on the 70-200/2.8 VR. Awesome!)

Re: I do not want to start a riot...or be stoned to death...but question: anyone using both Canon and Nikon gear? .....

1) Chose a Canon film camera years ago because the equivalent Nikon cost more. Chose a Canon digital so I could use my old lenses the equivalent Nikon cost more. (I didn't realize the old lenses were crap.)

2) I've use a D300 and found it difficult because I'm so used to Canons. I'm assuming after the learning curvethere would be little difference.

3) Don't really have a dog in that fight, but it seems there isn't the selection on the Nikkor lensesthere is on the Canon side. (I've tried to help my uncle, the owner ofthe D300, find a lens. After two years he's stillonly hasthe 18-200mm kit lens!)

4) It would be neat to have slave flash control built into the camera (but then again that's probably part of the reason why Canons tend to be cheaper).
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

3) Lens quality? Which one do you prefer...C vs N...if you care to go into description and comparison or just any rationale will do.

Thanks a bunch!

Well,

1) Canon because I could figure out how to operate the aperture on a 40D and could not on the D80. Plus I always hated the Nikon Coolpix 5000 I paid way too much for back in the day.

2) I obviously find Canon easier to operate.

3) I don't have too much experience with Nikon lenses so I'm going with Canon. From the reviews/comparisons of the lenses I own compared to their Nikon counterparts, they seem to on par or better (16-35 II, 24-70, 70-200 2.8 IS, 24 1.4, 501.4) and a couple I don't think Nikon has equivalents.

4) I'd like better AF in the 5D one that is on par with D700.

I didn't know better and now I have to live it.[]

1. I went with Canon because I know the prices are cheaper and more of my friends use Canon so we can trade lenses for a work or so. Like can I use your 100mm macro and you can use my 24-70 f/2.8 for a week type thing. (not saying I have either, but as example.)

2. I have used a Nikon D40, Nikon D70s, Canon Rebel XT, Xti, and XS, and Canon 5D. Only reason I say that Canon is easier to use is because I have used them more. Like Jarhead said after the learning curve I am sure its the same. The first ever SLR I ever used was the D40 which I borrowed froma friend for a week, but I had no experience what so ever. Then I got my own Canon XS and actually started to learn how to use an SLR.

3. Lens quality? Couldn't say. But I do not like that there is the issue with the Nikon D40 and many lenses not working with AF. One of my friends has that problem. Pretty horrible because only certain lenses have AF and thus he is required to get the more expensive lens (if he wants AF, and who doesn't unless maybe you are talking macro).

4. Could not say. Granted I used the D40 for a week, I know nothing much about Nikons.

Quote Originally Posted by powers_brent

...there is the issue with the Nikon D40 and many lenses not working with AF.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Yep, older Nikon bodies had a focus motor built in. New, low end Nikon bodies do not. Hence the problem. If you got a higher end body it shouldn't be an issue.

I'm pretty sure higher end Nikkor lenses have a focus motor built into them. So, a low end body with high end glass shouldn't have any trouble either.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

1) I went Canon cause some of my friend's pictures inspired me to get into photography. He shot Canon so I shot Canon.

2) I've only toyed around with my friend's D60. That and my 20D are about the same though in ease of use I think.

3) After having a chance to talk to Curt Chandler, a very important man in the photojournalism department at PSU, he said Canon is usually a step ahead in the auto focus department while Nikon is better with the speedlights.

4) Having never used a Nikon, I don't really know. Although the Auto/Manual focus thing that Johan described would certainly be nice!

I started with a Canon AE-1 in 1981 and I've shot Canon for the last 28 years. I own 6 Canon bodies and too many accessories to count. Once you've made the investment in asystem, it is pretty hard to switch.

As for comparisons, both companies make good cameras and both have certain advantages. I think Canon has been a step ahead on resolution and high ISO noise, but the differences at this moment are not staggering.

Lens to lens, you might be able to makedirect comparisons, but anything I'd say as a generalization would be proven wrong. I like the Canon EF300mm f/2.8 L IS USM and it's EF400mm f/2.8 L ISUSM big brother. The equivalent Nikon lenses are more expensiveand I don't notice the Nikon guys outshooting me at sporting events.

I'm still using a Sony H1 superzoom P&amp;S (which I use in manual mode, and have the M3358 closeup filter, and the 1.7x teleconverter)

1. Still saving my pennies, so I haven't technically gone with Canon yet, but I plan to. I used a Nikon D40 for 2 days ( I read Ken Rockwell's page about how it was all you'd ever need ) and was forced to returned it. Compared the the H1 it was not usable in manual mode.

With auto-review on, the buttons to change shutter and aperture don't actually change shutter and aperture while the review is up, they start scrolling through older pictures, making it hard to tweak settings between shots. This is wrong, they should allow me to change settings while the preview is up.

With auto-review off, if you want to see your last shot, you must enter a special mode, which takes like 5 seconds to start (and another few to turn off). I should press the button and the image should appear, press it again, and I should be ready to shoot.

I don't know for sure if Canon will handle these gripes any better (try finding a store with a display model with both a charged battery and a memory card installed!), or if other Nikon models are any better. I just know I would go insane using the Nikon D40. It drove me away from their entire brand.

Nikon wants you to pay extra for the utility to read RAW files, where as Canon includes one. I didn't like the feeling I was being nickled and dimed to death to use the more advanced camera features. The whole Nikon suing Adobe in 2005 for reading their RAW files (by breaking the encryption on their white balance data) doesn't exactly make me happy with Nikon either.

2. It's got to be Canon. There's no way they can top the interface annoyances I found on the Nikon... but I haven't had the chance to properly try out a Canon.

3. No opinion.

4. None.

On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L