Thread: Help! Need some last minute fireworks capture tips from the experienced!

Help! Need some last minute fireworks capture tips from the experienced!

Okay, this is my first time having a good camera on a 4th of July, since I just got it this Spring. I am going to attempt to take some photos this evening of the fireworks display over the bay where we live. There is also a beautiful fountain with built-in lighting that I want to shoot, since it has a flag flying "in frame" that I could capture for a nice image. Finally, I thought I might have an opportunity to shoot some pictures of my wife and son sitting on the grass, looking up at the sky, with their faces lit by the colorful light of the fireworks.

My equipment is as follows:

Canon 40D, EF 17-40 f/4L, EF 28-135 3.5-5.6, tripod with built-in removablemonopod. The 17-40 alsohas a polarizing filter that fits it. No flash other than built-in at the moment. No remote trigger, though that is a priority.

How does one capture thefireworks' full blossom? I am assuming tripod. I know I need a fairly long exposure, but I'm not sure how to accomplish it properly. Do I need Tv mode? I have been a slave to Av for the most part until now, allowing shutter speed to be determined by the camera. How about ISO? Focusing? Should I use a timer? How about f-stop for DOF? It is going to be so dark that I assume the camera can't focus by itself. Should I shoot manually? If so, how do I know my settings are workable to get a shot? Too much control, with my experience, may be a bad thing. [:O]

Also, What shutter speed range to accomplish the fountain shot? I know I need to give it time to capture the motion of the water flowing, so not too short. How long is too long? I could tripod this shot, too. Actually, it occurred to me that this may be a neat candidate for HDR, If I can get the water to behave consistently.

What are everyones' suggestions? TIA!

Re: Help! Need some last minute fireworks capture tips from the experienced!

I'm no experinced fireworks photographer, but have you checked out Bryan's fireworks tips?

i set it on manual, somewhere around 2.5 to 5 seconds, try longer exposures just for fun. although be warned that if you have a slow CF card it takes longer to write the files onto the card and you'll miss some shots. use ISO 100 or 200 for best color results of you can. for aperture around 5.6 or so, otherwise the shutter speed gets to long. in my experience you have to kinda ignore the light meter and just experiment for exposure. here are some examples, the first one was actually taken last night. hope this helps First shot taken with a Canon XTi and Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8, the second was with an 18-55mm IS.

50mm 5s f/8 ISO 200

18mm 30s f/18 ISO 100

I actually had read Bryan's tips before a long time ago, and had a brain cramp, I guess. [:$]

matt,

Thank you for relating your personal experience and some examples. The fireworks in the first oneare absolutely what I am looking for. However, I am distracted by the blurred flags and the flag poles seem a little dominant. Please don't be offended, I am just commenting with my personal opinion.

The second one is also very nice. I'm excited to see what I can capture this evening.

Thank you for the data. It is very helpful as a reference point.

I think I will start a thread so that we can post our shots, since I feel like it will be popular over the next few days to do so.

Alan

I'd recommend the bulb setting, rather than manual. That way, you can time the shot. I've had erratic results with manual exposure and setting the shutter speed.

My experience has been that it's better to stop down to f/8. ISO 100, and no in-camera noise reduction.

The wide angle lens is preferred, since once you find the right "view," you'll probably not change it much.

Another thing: remove any UV filter on the lens.

Of course, use a sturdy tripod and a remote release cord.

If you dont have a remote shutter cable (I wouldn't use enough to justify the 50 purchase for the canon one) you can put your camera to the short timer setting and maybe a 3 second exposure and just spam the shutter untill you get something.

The others got it right but heres a summary:

f/8-f/16

iso 100

tripod, the heavier the better

manual focus infinity

flashlight good to bring

uv filters will cause stray light to 'ghost' on your image

Alright, I didn't see some of the replies before I left, but this is what I did:

EOS 40D w/ EF 17-40 f/4 @ f/10 and 40mm. Removed protective UV filter. Decent tripod which seemed stable tonight. ISO 100, manual focus (not sure where, just used a ship's mast that seemed about thesame distance), manual mode, shutter@ 5 or6 seconds for most shots. Had to use the 2 second timer, as I don't have a release yet. I didn't use in-camera noise reduction.

I thought bulb and manual were the same. What is the difference?

I did bring a small LED flashlight, and it was a lifesaver the few times I had to whip it out to make adjustments.

Alan

The bulb setting lets you control how long the shutter is open. You press the shutter button (or, remote release) and hold it for as long as you wish, and the shutter stays open until you release the button.

You can set the aperture, then control the shutter speed yourself.

Manual doesn't do it that way.

Well that's pretty straightforward! The problem with that mode for, at least last night, is that I don't yet have a remote release, so I'd be risking camera shake since I'd have to press the shutter on the body. I absolutely see the benefit of bulb mode for fireworks, though. That is exactly the kind of control I wished to have when I was shooting last night! Instead, I had to sort of play the timing game and hope that I was in sync with the rhythm of the fireworks, and press the shutter two seconds before the "beat", if you know what I mean. The remote would have made my shots MUCH easier.

Thank you for teaching me something new about photography, though. Now I MUST get a remote release.