Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tripods and (ball)heads

Re: Tripods and (ball)heads

No one here use tripods? [^o)]

I do, but mine is cheap as hell. But it does its jobquite well, at least for what I use it. It's the Manfrotto 718B with head included.

It's not that good for panning, but when I have to do somthing like that I just keep the 3 legs closed together and use it as a monopod ^^

it's light and steady enough for me...and for $74 it was a great deal hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Oren

Hey Feanor and thanks for the help. Does the CB-50D ballhead in Sean's link come with the quick release clamp included? (it seem like it does but I just want to make sure).
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

It goes come with quick release plate - I nearly made that mistake myself, it's not that obvious from their website!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

Feanor,

A few questions:

1) How is panning with the CB-50 head? Do you need to add the PB-70 panning base or can it be done without it?

2) What about the quick release? Is it strictly proprietary or can you use an Arca-Type Quick Release Adapter?

1) I've only had the tripod a few weeks and haven't had to pan with it and, althought I've done a lot of research before buying, I must admit to having no real-world experience with other tripods so can't really compare. But the CB-50 has a panning base integrated that looks pretty much exactly like the PB-70. It's beautifully smooth and can be easily locked.

2) I'm not sure, I'm using the Feisol plate. When I get round to doing my review I'll put a link to it on here - I think the photos I've already taken should answer your question.

If you're looking at the Tournament Class tripods, which are the ones I'd recommend, you are unlikely to need a center column (depending on your height of course). I'm 6'2" and fully extended with CB-50 my 3372 brings the camera up to nose level, which is fine. I've not yet used the center column in anger but only expect to need it on the odd occasion when I'm wanting to angle the camera upwards. You also don't need the Horizontal Adaptor to take photos in portrait - the CB-50 will do that. The Horizontal Adaptor is only really any use for macro.

Feanor, thanks for the help. Note that quick release plate and qucik release clamp are 2 different things - you mount the release clamp to the top of your ballhead, and you mount the release plate to the bottom of your camera, after doing that, you can easily put the camera on your tripod quickly by attaching the release plate to the release clamp. I'm sure you know all that but again, I'm just making sure since most ballheads don't come with a quick release plate nor with quick release clamp. So, are you telling me that the Feisol comes with BOTH the plate and the clamp included?

Oren - as an engineer myself I'd be worried if I got the two terms muddled up! It does indeed come with both clamp and plate.

I have however since realised that I made a mistake above - it's the 3342 tripod I've bought, not sure why I kept writing 3372.

If anyone is interested I've just completed my own review of the 3342.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor

Quote Originally Posted by Oren

Hey Feanor and thanks for the help. Does the CB-50D ballhead in Sean's link come with the quick release clamp included? (it seem like it does but I just want to make sure).

It goes come with quick release plate - I nearly made that mistake myself, it's not that obvious from their website!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

Feanor,

A few questions:

1) How is panning with the CB-50 head? Do you need to add the PB-70 panning base or can it be done without it?

2) What about the quick release? Is it strictly proprietary or can you use an Arca-Type Quick Release Adapter?

2) I'm not sure, I'm using the Feisol plate. When I get round to doing my review I'll put a link to it on here - I think the photos I've already taken should answer your question.

FYI, Arca/Wimberly/Kirk plates should work on the Feisol clamp if Feisol is reporting their plate base dimensions accurately (should be only 1mm or so difference between plate widths and only a small difference between groove angle). If not, just replace the Feisol clamp with one from Kirk (2 or 2.5 inch will be fine and won't break the bank).

Feanor, IAMB and anyone else - thanks guys []