Al....positively move your aperture around to see what works best for you. The day I shot the pictures, I referenced in the earlier suggestion, I was shooting 8 to 11 (photos were 9). Use a larger AP # and experiment, this is one of the benefits of shooting at lower lens speeds. Don't be afraid to go lower on shutter speeds either....again experiment.

Re string; why not....if the wind moves the feeder that much. Also, I've removed the perch from my feeder to capture in flight shots only.

I forgot to mention Al....I use a 40D and removed the AF from the shutter release so I may activate the camera to check metering w/out changing the focus. Yes, I could turn the AF off, but what about the butterfly or bee that needs a quick focus to capture? I also don't let the camera go to sleep....for I've missed some shots due to the camera's reactiviation, though fast, the AI Servo takes another moment.

I've also discovered I can carry on a conversation w/my wife and the HBs don't mind, but if I move, they become agitated and, the males in particular, leave.

Regards

Bill